Even if human rights in Qatar have improved since Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani seized power in 1995, they are not considered as good by international organizations. The main concerns relate to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly as well as the precarious situation of migrant workers.
Results for Tag: Refugee
Lebanon has been one of the destinations of Palestinian refugees since 1948 and it hosts today 12 sites and 449,957 registered refugees. According to UNRWA reports, half of the Palestinian refugee population in Lebanon is 25 years of age and younger, rendering the population majorly youthful. Additionally, around 62% of the refugee population are inhabitants of camps, while the remaining 38% are either dispersed around the country or reside in gatherings in the vicinity of these camps, yet they are not part of the official settlements and do not receive the same services registered refugees do.
In al-Bireh al-Hroub works with children who have suffered all kinds of trauma. To help them cope, she developed a game-based teaching technique that builds confidence and self-esteem. She initially used the method with her own children, who were left traumatized after being shot at by Israeli soldiers at a checkpoint in 2000.
Despite Sabine’s continuous efforts for more than ten years, her social work became obvious only after the outbreak of the Syrian war in 2011, followed by the refugee crisis that brought more than a million Syrians into Lebanon. Sabine decided to lead a workshop titled “Seeing the Self” to help teenagers and the victims of war and family and social violence to express themselves, writing about their experiences and turning them into short documentary films, with the help of specialized directors. This workshop produced about 19 short films that were entered in famous festivals around the world; some of them even became award-winning films. Most importantly, these films helped their heroes overcome difficult circumstances.
Despite attempts at reform, with the restrictive sponsorship system still in place and inadequate enforcement of the law, migrant workers in the Gulf are still vulnerable to exploitation and abuse. This, in turn, damages the modern and progressive image of the region, an image that these states are eager to maintain.